[Wolves] What's Your Linux Machine?

John Alexander acontractornow at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 9 20:57:50 UTC 2020

 Hey Chris got one of those i Pad displays and driving it to an external DP port on the desktop via an DP-eDP adaptorProbably could do a cool video window mod using those i pad displays certainly can make a cute 2nd monitor!
Any one doing anything cute with the RPI cameras BTW?

    On Monday, 9 March 2020, 13:52:44 GMT, Chris Ellis via Wolves <wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:

 > So, what is your Linux machine?

My main driver for the last few years has been a Lenovo T480.  Had to
upgrade when my X260 couldn't compile fast enough.  With:

Intel i7-8550u 4c 8t
32 GiB DDR 4
256 GB NVMe
2 TB SATA SSD
2k 14" display
Dual batteries

Main thing I like about that machine is now long the batteries can last,
can get a full working day coding without having to worry about a plug
socket.

Having recently got a desk and a 4k monitor at home, it was obvious that
the Intel graphics couldn't smoothly push 4k.

So I've just built a Ryzen based desktop, compile times are so much quicker
than my laptop its kinda funny.  This is mostly due to thermal contraints
of thr laptop.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x 8c 16t @ 3.6GHz
64 GiB DDR4-3200
Radeon X570 graphics
Quad port 1Gbe NIC
512 GB NVMe
750 GB SATA SSD
1 TB SATA HDD

Paired with an LG 4k IPS monitor and a Lenovo keyboard.

Both machines are running openSUSE Tumbleweed :)

I also have a numbet of Odroid ARM boards.  One which runs Volumeio as a
hifi playout.

I have a couple of Odroid H2s which run Tumbleweed too.  There are tiny
Intel Atom based boards.

I also have a bunch mostly Sandy Bridge era servers which I piss about with
CEPH and VM stuff on.  All running openSUSE Leap.

When building my desktop, I opted for a last gen Radeon, so that I could
use the open source drivers.  It seems to handle 4k pretty well.  I also
spent some time keeping it quiet, its mostly silent even and full tilt.

I couldnt resist adding some RBG LEDs.  Had loads of Ws2811 strips, coupled
with a USB form factor ATtiny95.

Chris