[Wolves] Test Video Conference

Mark Rogers mark at more-solutions.co.uk
Tue Mar 24 08:54:49 UTC 2020

On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 at 22:31, Chris Ellis via Wolves
<wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:
> I gave it 4 CPUs and 8GiB RAM for my instance.  The videobridge seems
> to consume ~10% CPU per connected user.
>
> Server seems to use about 500MiB ram idle, each video stream doesn't
> seem to use too much RAM, maybe 30MiB per user.
>
> It seems that each user consumes about 1.5Mb/s of network bandwidth,
> varies depending on res and quality.

>From my research only bandwidth is really an issue. As an experiment I
ran it up on a $5 DigitalOcean VM (1GB, 1 vCPU) and it worked fine
with three connected users; htop suggests it was only using about half
the resources available to it.

Quality was OK, too.

But I was then called into a meeting on Zoom and the quality
difference was significant. (And also about half hour into our 40 min
free session we got notification that the 40min limit was being
lifted.)

> I've only tried my instance with 3 or 4 users.  Aiming to try it with
> a few more this week.  On the whole I've been reasonably
> impressed by it, very feature rich video conf tool.

I have to say I was impressed too, until comparing with Zoom. My own
personal preferences for FOSS won't carry much weight when a lot of
those I want to invite to the meetings have experience of Zoom.

That said, Jitsi is a lot easier to join a meeting (nothing to
install, just click the link).

> Downside is their install documentation is rather non-existent and
> there are only packages for Ubuntu.

Agree there. Ubuntu suits me but the lack of docs is an issue. For
example I would like to configure it so that only admin(s) can create
meetings - I don't want my server to be a free-for-all - but looking
for how to do that took me down a virtual rabbit hole (and I ran out
of time before the scheduled Zoom meeting).

Mark