[Wolves] something to talk about (reading Linux files from Windows)

John Alexander acontractornow at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 22 11:47:38 UTC 2020

 It might make people too lazy to install Linux but if they haven't already then they'll probably never do it any way.Any way we should be focusing on making Linux better in the greater sense.

Or more  and better volumes of material on our LUGs thinking on a local activity level!
Help Adam help the LUG by putting more Linux/Open source material up on the LUG list here  or frequent the LUG Meetup which is now Weekly  on a video conference set up by Amo.JA

    On Friday, 22 May 2020, 12:23:18 BST, Adam Sweet via Wolves <wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:

 On 09/04/2020 11:43, Adam Sweet wrote:
> On 08/04/2020 20:27, David Goodwin via Wolves wrote:
>> https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/8/21213783/microsoft-windows-10-linux-file-explorer-integration-features
>>
>> If I'm reading that right, people will now be able to view their Linux files when booted into Windows ....

<Heavily abbreviated summary below>

> I think this, along with the Windows Subsystem for Linux are smart
> moves from Microsoft and great for the people that need them. Things
> like containers, git, ansible and Kubernetes leave Windows in the
> cold.
>
> WSL made sense to bring the tools people are using back to the
> Windows desktop without having to shell out to something else.
> Essentially WSL is a platform pull. Reduce the need for separate
> Linux dev boxes, or worse Linux desktops.
>
> As I said, this is great for the people that need it and maybe not so
> good for Linux adoption. Putting those tools on the Windows desktop
> though means fewer Linux boxes in the long term. Momentum breeds
> momentum.

Going one step further:

https://www.osnews.com/story/131812/microsoft-is-bringing-linux-gui-apps-to-windows-10/

This is good news for Linux people that have to use Windows at work and
good for the people that employ them but probably really bad news for
Linux desktop adoption in business.

Ad