[Wolves] next Virtual Meeting, one after 23rd September

Adam Sweet adamsweet at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 10:27:49 UTC 2020

Hi Mark

As John said, we tried it out ourselves for the first month or two of
lockdown. It works well with 2-3 people but it was pretty glitchy with
more than 4-5 as different people would lose audio or video or freeze
entirely at different times so we'd have people constantly dropping in
and out as people tried to recover their audio/video. I also found it
wouldn't work in Chrome, but it would in Firefox, despite the opposite
being supported, though that could have been specific to Ubuntu using a
containerised snap package for Chrome/Chromium browsers.

Jitsi was my personal preference since it's Open Source but it wasn't
practically usable. I understand Birmingham LUG also used Jitsi and had
the same issues.

Chris, who hosted one of the instances we used said it had seen some
improvements as it had been more widely used over the last 6 months but
he hasn't updated his in a while so those improvements are not readily
available to us.

Despite not being open Source, Zoom has worked perfectly every time and
I'm not aware that anyone has had problems getting set up for one of our
calls so I'm not sure what we'd gain by going back to Jitsi, though I'd
be interested to know how much it's improved in recent versions.

That said, Jitsi themselves run their own hosted conferencing platform,
so you can run your own Jitsi conference without needing somebody to run
Jitsi for you:

https://meet.jit.si/

Let us know how you find it if you try it out. Especially interested in
how you get on with 5 or more people.

Ad