[Wolves] Fwd: pvr help

Adam Sweet adamsweet at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 12:22:32 UTC 2021

On 26/07/2021 11:13, Mark Croft Redditch Linux Mint via Wolves wrote:
> Still having problems getting my TBS dvb card working.. details below..

<snip>

> https://controlc.com/7026a620 <https://controlc.com/7026a620> pwd MONKEY

I'm not clear on the order you've provided the information in here, it
seems a bit mixed up. Also, you don't say what OS this is on but what
follows assumes it's something Ubuntu based.

 From the information you provided it looks like the device is detected
and a driver is loaded for it, then you get an error about the firmware,
you say you think the firmware is installed, then you delete all kernel
media device drivers, then you run a script to build a driver for the
device...

Firstly, running the following command seems a really bad idea.

(Hint that should be obvious, do not try the following command at home)

# sudo rm -rf /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/media/

It will have forcibly removed all media device drivers (there are a lot
under there) and you would presumably have needed some of the core and
common ones that you removed. I'd be surprised if you aren't having
weird AV related things fail now, or at least after rebooting.

You'll probably have to reinstall your kernel to put them back,
something like:

# sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-image-generic linux-image

Moving on, maybe the order that you provided the information in is wrong
but as I said it seems you had a working driver already and were getting
a firmware loading error. You're going to need to be sure that firmware
is there. What do you see when you run the following:

ls -lh /lib/firmware/dvb-fe-cx24117.fw

If it's not there then it's not there. It looks like you can get it from
the following link if it's not in your driver bundle:

https://github.com/OpenELEC/dvb-firmware/blob/master/firmware/dvb-fe-cx24117.fw

Or follow the instructions here:

https://github-wiki-see.page/m/ljalves/linux_media/wiki/CX24117-firmware

And copy it to /lib/firmware/dvb-fe-cx24117.fw (with sudo).

To check that the driver is working, look at dmesg as you did (dmesg |
grep dvb) and fire up whatever front end viewer you're using. It's a
long time since I played with this stuff but I recall there are a few
hoops to jump through to scan for channels, store them and then view
them. I believe the KDE media player Kaffeine made this somewhat easier
but this email from March has some links to help you with some tools for
the job:

https://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/wolves/2021-March/033781.html

HTH. If you get it working let us know.

Ad