[Wolves] Usable Windows SSH clients

James Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 17:02:27 UTC 2023

On Tue, 24 Oct 2023 at 15:50, Simon Burke via Wolves
<wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
> So at day job, I am seeing putty is predominantly being used in best cases, and a remote Xterm via an openssh Tunnel and a local X server at its most contrived.
> I don't have anything in particular against Putty, but for managing any more than a couple connections, I just feel like its not the best tool
> Can you kind people kindly suggest a decent (yet simple) product that I could hopefully roll out to replace putty? If it support sftp too that would be of great benefit.
> I personally use WSL and Windows Terminal (my work laptop is nothing more than a jumpbox these days). I have used SecureCRT and liked it back in the day, but it's been a long.. time.  Some devs are using mobaxterm, which works for them, but its on a subscription model AFAIK.
> Anyway, any suggestions?

Some things I have used in the past, but on the latest Windows, using
WSL running an actual Linux distro is the closest you will get to ssh
on windows being the same as ssh on linux. WSL can do the Xterm also.
So, I would probably use WSL running a Linux distro if you have it.
Alternatively
1) putty
2) pscp
3) winscp   (does scp and sftp)
4) cygwin (has ssh and xterm)
5) Xming
6) Windows RDP to a Linux box running xrdp, thus not needing windows
to do X at all.