[Wolves] Storage advice.

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Mon Jan 15 22:10:26 UTC 2024

> I have a VM (VMWare) running Oracle Linux 9, with two 50tb VMDKs
> attached.
>
> The issue is that I need to span them, and it'll store a lot of tiny
> files (circa 80Tb in 2-3mb files), with a high daily rate of change.
>
> Choosing the right method to achieve this is proving a challenge, when
> I've got to get this going this week. So testing is limited.
>
> I can't have a single large VMDK due to a 62Tb limit in VMWare.
>
> I can just use ext4 and LVM, or Oracle Linux likes Btrfs. ZFS is
> provisionally out unless I get a third 50Tb disk, for ZRAID+1.

Which do you have most experience with? I'd try to avoid new
technologies if I had a tight deadline.

Without wanting to tell you how to suck eggs, I don't think BTRFS can
recover from bitrot unless it has a copy of the data somewhere. Is it's
file compression or snapshotting useful features to have?

I assume performance requirements mean you can't use a remote object
store like S3 ?

"My" largest filesystems are 'only' about 10-15tb (btrfs and ext4), so
you're a bit beyond me.....

( I don't know if ext4 behaves in a good enough way if it wants to fsck
at ~100tb ? )

David.