[Wylug-admin] monday's meeting

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Tue Mar 6 17:03:46 UTC 2007

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 04:08:27PM +0000, Dave Fisher wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 03:55:36PM +0000, James Holden wrote:
> > Haven't got a topic! Any requests? I'm sure I can put a half hour
> > together on something.
> >
> > Been playing with Beryl this week... the OSS answer to the current
> > eye-candy craze in the Mac and Windows worlds.
> >
> > It's dead easy to install on Ubuntu Edgy, can bring a box and demo. It's
> > rather impressive stuff, but only about 15 minutes worth :-(
>
> That sounds good. I have often observed that a goodly proportion of
> those who fein disinterest in eye-candy are actually rather impressed by
> the most visually appealling stuff ... no matter how useless it is for
> getting real work done.

hehe.... true :-) Actually, I find the bendy wobbly window dragging
rather therapeutic if I'm stuck on something.

> Am I right in thinking that this stuff is actually useless to anyone
> without an Invidia (or ATI?) graphics chipset?

Oddly, no if you've got enough CPU.

Although I've got an nVidia card (which can do all the fancy stuff with
nearly zero CPU), I've had to turn on software rendering to get around a
bug in the nVidia drivers that cause crashes when having multiple X
servers running, which I do because my wife has an X session on vt8 (she
thinks it's a KVM - I'm quite sure she thinks her old PC is still
running under the desk somewhere).

It's still mostly just as quick, but it is a 3GHz machine. The only
thing it slows down on is spinning the desktop around with videos
playing on it.

> > Or something else....? How about an iptables talk... we've not done one
> > of those for a bit.
>
> Well, if there are no other offers  ... unless you've got a new take on
> it?

Not really. I'd love to do a failover/loadbalancing talk at some point
but I can't pull that together by Monday due to it needing several boxes
to demo it properly. It's rather cool to be able to yank mains leads and
have things carry on working.

James