[Wylug-admin] Fwd: Removal from Google's index

Mark P. Conmy mpc at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Thu Jul 10 10:49:43 UTC 2008

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008, Phil Driscoll wrote:

> If whoever removed the wordpress pages from the site wants to stick the
> contents of the attached tar.gz in its place, then at least we will still
> have a web presence.

Phil,

I have sanitised the more obvious nastiness in the database, but it's
nasty looking.  Do we know how it got in there?  Is this someone doing
it deliberately (in an ill-judged attempt to improve Google rankings) or
is the site compromised?

As for updating wordpress, the version installed (for just this reason)
is locally installed and _not_ part of the OS install.  It was done that
way because I don't like PHP apps (they tend to have too many bugs) and
I wanted whoever ran the website to take responsibility.  This is
precisely the reason I told Dave not to use WordPress and that, if he
did, he'd have to take full responsibility for running it.

So, who is taking responsibility for the site?  Seriously, it's not just
a case of a quick "shove something in here for now", I want to know who
is going to take full responsibility for the account and site and who is
going to respond positively (and immediately) to such problems.

Mark