[Wylug-admin] Fwd: Removal from Google's index - responsibility

John Leach john at johnleach.co.uk
Thu Jul 10 17:43:03 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 17:57 +0100, Mark P. Conmy wrote:
> > Given shell access to the box I could get Wordpress upgraded (assuming
> > not too much weirdness in the setup/permissions), and I'd put it on my
> > Wordpress upgrade procedure so I'd keep it up to date in future (yes I
> > have a procedure, I have rather a lot of Wordpress sites that need
> > update rather too often *sighs).
>
> Oh, there's weirdness, not least being safe_mode.

Ok, I'll see how far I get then.  Have worked with php safe mode before.

> Personally, I would prefer PHP was avoided.

I can understand.  I think the first step should be to upgrade Wordpress
as it should be relatively painless to do and will give us time to
decided what to do next.

> > Not sure how we can go about you trusting me to give me access though
> > haven't swapped gpg keys or anything :/
>
> I can pass on the password on Monday in person.

Great, thanks Mark.

In the mean time we could be re-exploited, but we can just remove the
content again.  Not sure what the exact bug is, but if manage to spare 5
minutes in the mean time you could remove the xmlrpc.php file from the
wordpress root (it's usually to blame and is hardly necessary at all).

John.