[Wylug-admin] Wordpress

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Mon May 11 15:56:14 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 04:40:44PM +0100, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> Reading the domain handling stuff more carefully, there are issues
> with the hosted wordpress implementation....
>
> They do domain handling by acting as the nameservers for the domain,
> and they just serve up wordpress for the complete domain namespace.
> This means that if we did that for wylug.org.uk we cannot then do
> other things under wylug.org.uk or have email handled for it (the one
> exception is that we can map mail onto google apps).

Bleugh :-/

> You can deal with this by mapping a subdomain instead.

No ta.

> This is all workable but we need to be aware of the restrictions
> before being caught by them.
>
>    http://support.wordpress.com/domain-mapping/
>    http://support.wordpress.com/domain-mapping/domain-management/
>    http://support.wordpress.com/domain-mapping/custom-email/

Yeah... hmm. I don't think that's going to work, is it?

Currently, the wiki is hosted on my virtual server. It may be possible
to proxy a wordpress hosted site over to a virtual server (would be
mod_proxy on Apache, but I run nginx and it works in a similar manner).
Let me have a play around to test.

Cheers,

james