[Wylug-admin] Wordpress

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Tue May 12 09:57:40 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 12:12:30AM +0100, John Leach wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-05-11 at 16:40 +0100, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> > Reading the domain handling stuff more carefully, there are issues
> > with the hosted wordpress implementation....
> >
> > They do domain handling by acting as the nameservers for the domain,
> > and they just serve up wordpress for the complete domain namespace.
> > This means that if we did that for wylug.org.uk we cannot then do
> > other things under wylug.org.uk or have email handled for it (the one
> > exception is that we can map mail onto google apps).

Yes, that's crap really.

> Sorry, moving to wordpress.com was my responsibility and I dropped the
> ball.  I got the site imported months ago (though kept private from most
> search engines with a robots.txt file):
>
> http://wylug.wordpress.com/
>
> but then I discovered the same problem with their DNS setup as Nigel and
> just got stuck, like the proverbial goat, equidistant from two food
> sources.  Though in this case the goat was me, and instead of food it
> was hosting options and instead of two there was just one and it wasn't
> right. Then a catastrophic analogy failure ocurred.

:D :D

> tbh, I think somebody hosting a wordpress site would be a good
> short-to-medium-term solution (as we can just import the same database)
> and then consider other options.
>
> clearly I'm not the one to take responsibility for this, though I can
> offer hosting if necessary.
>
> Any other hosted solutions available?

No idea what anyone else thinks about this, but how about we host on
wordpress.com but proxy the site into our own DNS?

Demo at: http://blogtest.wylug.org.uk/

This is currently pointing to Nginx on my box (where the wiki runs)
reverse proxying over to wylug.wordpress.com.

It's sort of crufty and cunning at the same time, but gets around a)
having to maintain a wordpress install, and b) having to work around
silly DNS caveats.

The only thing I can think may be a problem is that it's somehow against
the wordpress terms of service. I can add the usual X-Forwarded-For etc
headers though.

Any thoughts? I'd really like to get something sorted out as soon as
possible.

> I'd just like to say it's been very good of Mark Conmy to continue
> hosting the site for so long after I'd agreed to get it moved.  Sorry
> (again) Mark.

Hear hear, many thanks due to Mark for looking after the site for so
long.

Cheers,

james