[Wylug-admin] Next Meeting

Tom Hall thattommyhall at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 12:29:54 UTC 2009

Hi guys,

I am not here again for the next meet as I am in China. I have
actually decided to give my notice in at work on my return and will be
going to India for 3 months in September so will need to drop out of
any WYLUG organising.
Sorry for the late notice, things have been a bit crazy for me lately.

I had in the pipeline

hudsonjr at ntlworld.com
"Hi Tom

If you want to take forward the idea of a talk on LyX/LaTeX, the
handout I did for Bradford LUG is at:

http://bradford.lug.org.uk/LyX_LaTeX_and_TeX.pdf

As it is much more oriented to users than to those who manage Linux
systems, it may be one for October under the headline 'The best
software, bar none, for your dissertation/thesis.' But I also think
that, now that LyX has gained versioning, it may be useful for anyone
producing and updating documentation regularly.

John
"

and

Chris Street chris at chris-street.demon.co.uk
"
1. An analysis of Linux raid performance across large disk arrays, (500GB
plus, 14 spindles covering ext3, xfs)
2. Cacti monitoring. Examples of how to build a cacti appliance and server
and some examples of how to monitor common systems. A virtualised (VMware)
cacti appliance will be available to those who are interested.
3. A talk on an early stage disk monitoring system. This project is to
replace a commercial package that keeps track of disk usage, enabling
capacity plannign, looking for rogue users, those using excess share, or
storing inappropriate content, as well as file hashing to look for file
changes (think of Tripwire lite...)

I just hope that I can fit all this into the time allocated - if you think
it too much I can easily of course split it over a couple of meetings.

Ideally internet access would be desirable especially for the cacti demo
as I would be conencting to my webserver at home.
"

All the very best.
Tom