[Wylug-announce] Next Meeting - Monday 8th January 2001

Jim Jackson wylug-discuss at wylug.org.uk
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 10:50:14 +0000 (GMT)

A Happy new year to all WYLUG'ers,

I was a bit apprehensive about the last meeting. Would people find it too
esoteric and not come along? But my fears proved groundless and we had another
very well attended meeting. Matthew's talk proved very stimulating generating
much discussion from the floor - even if some "embarrassed" themselves by
displaying too much knowledge of Windows software :-) Only joking. Thanks to
Matthew for the talks, and to Nigel and InTechnology for making Matthew's
visit to WYLUG possible.

Also thanks to Rob (may-the-farce-be-with-you) Speed for organising the really
good 3rd birthday meal. I think there were 28 of us dining in the end - a huge
success.

Also thanks to Richard from Sheflug who took lotsa piccies with his new
toy^H^H^Hdigital camera. Unfortunately, I've not yet had time to do the HTML
necessary to get them the piccies on the website - but hope to get the pick of
bunch uploaded in the new year.

We have 2 talks at the next meeting.

Mike Banahan is going to talk about his experiences in re-using old 486
hardware as diskless X terminals. I understand one reason motivating Mike,
this that no disks and no fans makes a silent beast!

Ben Fowler is going to be talking about Perl. He's already emailed to the
discuss list a summary.

Hope to see you all there.
All the best
Jim

                West Yorkshire Linux Users Group  (WYLUG)

             Meetings are free and open to anyone to attend.
                          ----             ------

                     7 pm  Monday 8th January 2001
                        (6:30pm for coffee/tea)

        Presentations:

                Using the Linux Terminal Server Project
                   software for low-cost X Terminals

                        Mike Banahan, GBDirect

                     Perl: A Tool for All Reasons

                              Ben Fowler

        WYLUG Venue:  Active Learning Lab.,  (Level 7, near staircase 2)
                      E.C. Stoner Building   (aka Physics/Admin)
                      University of Leeds
                      Woodhouse Lane
                      Leeds UK

             for location of Leeds University & Campus Map see
                http://www.leeds.ac.uk/campus/location-maps.html
                http://www.leeds.ac.uk/campus/physa-1.html
                http://www.leeds.ac.uk/campus/campusmap.html

        General Discussion:

                LINUX  -  News, Views, Question and, hopefully, Answers

                WYLUG  -  what, who, when (and why :-)
                 Especially what happens at future meetings!

WYLUG - West Yorkshire Linux User Group     Secretary: jj@comp.leeds.ac.uk
http://www.wylug.org.uk         email lists: http://list.wylug.lug.org.uk