[Wylug-announce] Planned down time on list server

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham@VData.co.uk
Sun, 06 Feb 2000 20:57:37 +0000

tony@leedsnet.com said:
> I may have suffered from this window. Recently I could look up
> list.wylug.lug.org.uk and found its IP number to be 129.11.144.129
> with a TTL of 55 minutes or so.

Odd - thats nothing like the right address - in fact thats a
leeds.ac.uk address so I guess you have just pasted the address of your
name server?

> Is it really necessary to flush the cache if the systems administrator
> sets the TTL appropriately during a move?

Not really... although RH6.1 boxes have this utterly stupid demon that
caches name lookups for maximum embarrassing effect and doesn't honour
TTLs.

I have just realised, having looked carefully, that the lug.org.uk
domain has its 2 main name servers giving out different (but both
authoritative) answers.  This is just a bit broken but will hopefully
be fixed soonish.

	Nigel.
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham@VData.co.uk ]