[Wylug-announce] List Changes

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham@VData.co.uk
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 17:26:38 +0000

[This is a warmed over version of the message I sent to the old wylug
list earlier today.  It does at least have the advantage that it will
be in the archives - see
  http://list.wylug.lug.org.uk/pipermail/wylug-announce/2000-January/thr
ead.html
]

The main WYLUG web page lives at
	http://www.wylug.lug.org.uk

There are 4 wylug lists at present (if you are looking in the archives
things may have changed):-
  wylug-announce	- announcements about and relating to wylug
			  (low traffic, semi-moderated)

  wylug-advocacy	- advocacy events and discussion

  wylug-help		- self help list

  wylug-discuss		- anything else

All the current lists are linked from
	http://list.wylug.lug.org.uk

and the archives for each list are linked from the list information
page (which can be found off that link just above here).

Old messages from the list that Jim had archived will be added fairly
soon.

We would like, but do not enforce, everyone to subscribe to the
announce list.  The intention is that the announce list will be a low
traffic list just with announcements - no discussion.  If you wish to
organise something then have the discussion around the event on either
the wylug-discuss or wylug-advocacy list as appropriate, and then post
an announcement when you have everything worked out.

Out of pure lazyness the announce list is not currently moderated.  If
this openness is abused then I will make it moderated.

All other lists are unmoderated.  All lists only accept postings from
addresses that are subscribed to them - if your posting address and
subscription address do not match then either change one of them, or
add an additional subscription for your posting address and set the
options to "nomail".

When you subscribe to a list you will receive an introductory mailing
giving you basic information about the list, the subscription and list
addresses, the URL to get at the options page for your subscription
(this allows you to change to digest mode for example), and your
password (which allows you to unsubscribe and make other major
changes).  [You can set your own password].  This password is low
security - its mailed out in clear periodically - so don't use an
important password for this (even if you forget it you can get the
system to mail it to you).

You will also be sent a monthly message from the list manager software
telling you of all your subscriptions on this system and their
passwords.

All messages from the lists are marked as such - they have a small
trailer (don't rely on the format of this since I will probably modify
it until it seems "right"), the subject line contains the name of the
list in [] - ie

  [Wylug-announce] Welcome to the announce list

and there are additional headers in the mail which allow you to filter
the list mail using (for example) procmail.  The specific headers are:-