[Wylug-announce] Next Meeting - Monday 11th September 2000

Jim Jackson jj@comp.leeds.ac.uk
Sat, 2 Sep 2000 21:39:02 +0100 (BST)

Greetings all,

I understand that people had a pleasant August meeting - both at the
University and at the pub!

Our Main Speaker in September is Owen LeBlanc from Manchester Computing
Centre. He is talking about ....

"
Title: Booting, and Booting with Grub

Synopsis: A fairly brief talk about how the PC boots, how
LILO fits into this, and how GRUB fits into this.  You can use
GRUB instead of or in addition to LILO.  What are the advantages
and disadvantages of this?

After this, we have a demonstration of how GRUB works in its
different modes: as a secure boot tool, as a more flexible tool,
as an editor, as a shell, as a system recovery tool.
"

Before the August meeting, Rob Speed asked if people would talk about what
they use Linux for. So I'm volunteering to give a brief talk about how I use
my linux box to record radio programs, so I can listen to them later - a sort
of audio "VCR". Rocket Science this isn't.

I've got some speakers for October and November too.

Future Meetings ...............

Mon 9th October

Simon Wood is going to talk about Digital Cameras with Linux, hopefully with
some helpful tips on using GIMP on the images.

Ruediger Berlich of SuSE UK will talk about SuSE version 7, and other topical
issues. I understand some issues have arisen on the Sheflug email list
(sheflug@vuw.ac.nz). Ruediger will be also talking at the Sheflug meeting on
Sat 7th October.

Mon 13th November

GNovember is Gnome Gnight :-)

Ben Lamb will demonstrate Gnome and talk about configuration and installation.

Nigel Metheringham will talk about writing Applications for Gnome.

Mon 11th December

Still being organised. Any volunteers?

That's it. Hope to see you at the September meeting.

All the best
Jim

                West Yorkshire Linux Users Group  (WYLUG)

             Meetings are free and open to anyone to attend.

                    7 pm  Monday 11th September 2000
                        (6:30pm for coffee/tea)

        Presentations:

                     Booting, and Booting with Grub
                             Owen LeBlanc
                       Manchester Computing Centre

                        An Audio "VCR" with Linux
                              Jim Jackson

        WYLUG Venue:  Active Learning Lab.,  (Level 7, near staircase 2)
                      E.C. Stoner Building   (aka Physics/Admin)
                      University of Leeds
                      Woodhouse Lane
                      Leeds UK

             for location of Leeds University & Campus Map see
                http://www.leeds.ac.uk/campus/location-maps.html
                http://www.leeds.ac.uk/campus/physa-1.html
                http://www.leeds.ac.uk/campus/campusmap.html

        General Discussion:

                LINUX  -  News, Views, Question and, hopefully, Answers

                WYLUG  -  what, who, when (and why :-)
                 Especially what happens at future meetings!

          followed by beer at the Felon and Firkin, George Street

WYLUG - West Yorkshire Linux User Group     Secretary: jj@comp.leeds.ac.uk
http://www.wylug.org.uk         email lists: http://list.wylug.lug.org.uk