[Wylug-announce] Next Meeting - Monday 12th February 2001

Jim Jackson wylug-discuss at wylug.org.uk
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 20:13:14 +0000 (GMT)

Greetings all,

Thanks to Mike Banahan and Ben Fowler for their talks at the January meeting.

The February meeting has two talks on document processing. Frank Shute will
give and introduction to LaTeX and creating PDF files, while Gary Stainburn
will describe a project at Ringways to place a layer between the existing
COBOL programs and printer to replace pre-printed stationary by merging data
and proformas to print on plain paper.

And a call for a change in pub venue has been called. From the discussion so
far it seems that the Victoria on George Street is the favorite, though there
has been one voice for a return to the re-opened Londoner. This month then
it's the Victoria.

So what about future meetings. I think I've had it too easy since last August,
there has been a steady steam of volunteers for speakers etc. However this has
now dried up. I have no speakers organised for March and beyond. So I now need
to PANIC, and get thinking about who I can pester and YOU need to volunteer to
speak on a topic, or tell me what you want to hear about, or tell me you know
someone who will do us a talk.

A Linux Install Day is being organised UK wide for Sunday April 29th, and LUGs
are being asked to participate. The guy organising it has support from most
the major distros and is hopefully getting some publicity UK wide etc. I think
we should join in. I'll try and put out a seperate email about this with
some more info. But be warned - prepare to volunteer to help :-)

Hope to see you all on the 12th
All the best
Jim

                West Yorkshire Linux Users Group  (WYLUG)

             Meetings are free and open to anyone to attend.
                          ----             ------

                     7 pm  Monday 12th February 2001
                        (6:30pm for coffee/tea)

        Presentations:

         Introduction to LaTeX & generation of PDF using PDFLaTeX
                                Frank Shute

                   Pre-Printed Stationery - Who needs it?
                               Gary Stainburn
                            Ringways Motor Group

        WYLUG Venue:  Active Learning Lab.,  (Level 7, near staircase 2)
                      E.C. Stoner Building   (aka Physics/Admin)
                      University of Leeds
                      Woodhouse Lane
                      Leeds UK

             for location of Leeds University & Campus Map see
                http://www.leeds.ac.uk/campus/location-maps.html
                http://www.leeds.ac.uk/campus/physa-1.html
                http://www.leeds.ac.uk/campus/campusmap.html

        General Discussion:

                LINUX  -  News, Views, Question and, hopefully, Answers

                WYLUG  -  what, who, when (and why :-)
                 Especially what happens at future meetings!

            followed by beer at the Victoria Pub, George Street

WYLUG - West Yorkshire Linux User Group     Secretary: jj@comp.leeds.ac.uk
http://www.wylug.org.uk         email lists: http://list.wylug.lug.org.uk