[Wylug-announce] Next Meeting - Monday 9th July 2001

Jim Jackson wylug-discuss at wylug.org.uk
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 14:45:17 +0100 (BST)

Greetings all,

I thought of you while I was in Brno in the Czech Republic on the the 11th of
June. There I was drinking beer at 40p a pint, enjoying a view of Brno's
reknowned cabbage market (I kid you not - though there were no cabbages
on sale) from my cafe seat, and thinking what a shame I'm missing the
FreeBSD session! Ignore the fact it was raining cats and dogs, and Brno's
charms don't exactly match up to Prague's, but the beer was cheaper.

I hope the BSD session went well. The feedback I've had so far seems good.

So this month we have the PHP session that didn't happen 2 months ago.
Here's Dave's own words again on the talk.....

"
GETTING STARTED IN PHP AND DYNAMIC WEB SITE DEVELOPMENT

The PHP Hypertext Preprocessor is rapidly becoming the most popular
programming tool/language amongst Unix-based web developers; replacing
Perl or Python as the `P' in the LAMP e-commerce platform (Linux Apache
MySQL Perl/Python/PHP)

The goal of the language is to allow Web developers to write
dynamically generated pages quickly.

Since this is one of the things i (a non-programmer with a
smattering of HTML/XML experience) wanted to do, I set about teaching
myself the language.

This talk recounts the experience; providing an evaluation of how the
language performs against a range of criteria.

The talk's primary objectives is to show (with worked examples) just how
easy it is to develop web based applications on Linux, provided you
avoid the trivial but show-stopping gotchas which many experienced Linux
programmers either fail to notice or mention.
"

I don't think we have anything else planned for the July meeting.

The August 13th meeting is the usual no speaker holiday meeting.
Feel free to bring your own discussion topics, questions, demos, prejudices,
soapbox whatever. A few biscuits etc wouldn't go amiss either :-)

See you all on Monday.

cheers
Jim

                West Yorkshire Linux Users Group  (WYLUG)

             Meetings are free and open to anyone to attend.
                          ----             ------

                       7 pm  Monday 9th July 2001
                         (6:30pm for coffee/tea)

        Presentations:

         GETTING STARTED IN PHP AND DYNAMIC WEB SITE DEVELOPMENT
                              Dave Fisher
                               GBDirect

        WYLUG Venue:  Active Learning Lab.,  (Level 7, near staircase 2)
                      E.C. Stoner Building   (aka Physics/Admin)
                      University of Leeds
                      Woodhouse Lane
                      Leeds UK

             for location of Leeds University & Campus Map see
                http://www.leeds.ac.uk/campus/location-maps.html
                http://www.leeds.ac.uk/campus/physa-1.html
                http://www.leeds.ac.uk/campus/campusmap.html

        General Discussion:

                LINUX  -  News, Views, Question and, hopefully, Answers

                WYLUG  -  what, who, when (and why :-)
                 Especially what happens at future meetings!

    Followed by beer and drinks at the Victoria Hotel, Great George Street

WYLUG - West Yorkshire Linux User Group     Secretary: jj@comp.leeds.ac.uk
http://www.wylug.org.uk              email lists: http://list.wylug.org.uk