[Wylug-announce] Next Meeting: 12th December, 2005: The Grand Xmas Bash

Dave Fisher davef at davefisher.co.uk
Fri Dec 2 19:36:59 GMT 2005

By tradition this meeting has prestigous guest speakers from around the world
and is followed by our Annual Xmas Dinner in a nearby restaurant. This year is
no different.

Sadly, I've been committed to be elsewhere since long before I took over as
WYLUG organiser, so I'll be unable to attend either event.  I am certain it
will go as well as usual and that everyone will enjoy themselves.

Jim vaguely promised to stage a 'comeback' for this meeting, but if he is
otherwise engaged, I'll make sure that someone else is available to take the
reins.

The plan is to start the meeting earlier than usual (6.00 pm) so that we give a
decent amount of time for the talks and are able to rush down to Brio for some
'snap'.

Rob Speed is organising the dinner at Brio. Hopefully, he'll see this message
and chime in with any updated details he may have.

We have two talks:

1. No Script Nonsense: the Birth of LUGRadio - Jono Bacon

  From out of nowhere, LUGRadio has become one of the most talked-about Open
  Source radio shows online. Consisting of interviews, features, rabid debates
  and a good measure of sarcasm and toilet humour to boot, LUGRadio has taken on
  a personality of its own. In this talk, Jono Bacon, co-founder of LUGRadio,
  will share some anecdotal experiences about creating LUGRadio from a social,
  technical and community level.

  The talk will chronicle the challenges faced with getting new content, handling
  the thousands of downloads with no money in the bank, dealing with censors and
  also how LUGRadio Live 2005 happened.

2.  The Embedded Debian Project: Emdebian - Wookey

  Wookey will talk about the Embedded Debian project. Many companies and
  projects large and small use Debian as a base for their embedded systems
  work. Thus far this has largely been on a fairly DIY basis, but life would be
  easier if there were standards tools and metadata for building 'small
  Debian'.

  Emdebian is bringing together people and tech to try and make it easier to
  produce semi-customised distributions for small systems.

  This talk will explain the potential, the story so far, and how the existing
  solutions work, then look at the remaining tasks and unresolved problems.

  Anyone with an interest in embedded systems in it's widest sense,
  free-software powered PDAs, routers, robotics or Point-of-sale systems, or
  Debian in general should find this of interest.

Dave