[Wylug-announce] Next Meeting: Mon 13 Feb 2006 - What Is an Operating System?

Dave Fisher wylug-discuss at davefisher.co.uk
Sun Feb 5 18:18:43 GMT 2006

Hi,

The next meeting is on Mon 13 Feb 2006 in the Stoner Building of Leeds
University at 7.00pm.

The room is open from 6.00 pm for tea and talks.

The meeting will, as usual, be followed by an informal session at the
Victoria pub (directly behind Leeds Town Hall) ... from somewhere
between 8.30 and 9.00 pm.

We have one definite talk:

   Mark Conmy on "What Is An Operating System?"

   I'll leave it to Mark to provide a full explanation, but the basic
   idea is to take a really fundamental technical look at the stuff that
   most Linux users, including experienced users, often take for
   granted.

I am still hoping to kick off the beginners series at this meeting with
a talk-cum-demo-cum-Q&A session on:

   Getting Started With Linux

My original idea was to demo simultaneous installs of the 3 most popular
Linux distros (plus Knoppix) on identical kit, accompanying the installs
with a talk explaining what the installer programs are actually doing
for you automatically and what you need to do for yourself in order to
get up and running.

Unfortnately, I haven't been able to get the kit I was hoping to borrow,
so the only way I can imagine doing roughly the same thing is if members
were prepared to bring in their own kit to use.  For example, I'm happy
to provide my own laptop, swapping a spare hdd for the one I keep my
life's work on.

If anyone else could offer something similar, please let me know
_before_ midnight on Wednesday.

If we can't do the parallel demos, I'm happy to conduct a single one,
but it would really help me if someone better qualified than myself
could contribute by talking, note-taking (for the Q+A), or managing the
installs while others are talking.

Dave