[Wylug-announce] ShefLUG - February Meeting - Alan Cox Lecture and Megan Larko NASA Lecture

Richard Ibbotson richard at sheflug.co.uk
Tue Jan 31 14:19:33 GMT 2006

            Sheffield Linux Users Group  (ShefLUG)

        Meetings are free and open to anyone to attend.

                Saturday 4th February 2006

Our next meeting will on the 4th of February.   Alan Cox will give a
talk comparing software engineering as it is taught with what is
practiced in the world of open source software.  Software engineering
is a long established discipline. This lecture compares the theory of
software engineering with the practices of the open source community
where much of the practice and policy is implemented by engineers
rather than management. By comparing and contrasting the two it is
hoped that both software engineering theory and open source practice
can learn useful lessons.

The venue for this meeting will be at the University of Sheffield,
Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering, St George's
building, Mappin Street, Sheffield.  Lecture theatre 3 or LT3. Just
now the meeting is claimed to start at 10.00 a.m for 10.30 a.m but
the time may change before the 4th of February.

For maps and for travel information you can have a look at....

        http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/visitors/
     http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/maps/index.html
      http://www.shef.ac.uk/maps/sheffield.html

        To book for this session please see....

    http://www.digitalsy.org.uk/EventInfo?eventid=175

In the afternoon from about 14.00 to 17.00 Megan Larko will talk about
her work for NASA.  This might involve a short discussion about
clusters and some features of network security.   Megan was a Senior
Sysadmin at NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center until January of this
year.  She had been there for more than 20 years.  She has been
working with GNU/Linux since early Slackware and pre-RedHat 4.2 and
2.0 kernel days.  She ran the Linux Land Information Center data
cluster which won the software of the year award in 2005.  For more
about that have a look at...

                http://lis.gsfc.nasa.gov
            http://icb.nasa.gov/nasaswy.html

Megan also managed e-mail and web servers and many workstations and
she loves to do custom kernels.   Her favourite recent project is
the Web 100 modification to SSH that came out of the University of
Pittsburgh.

        http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh
              http://www.web100.org/download

The venue for this meeting will be the Sheffield Hallam University
Room 943 in the Owen Building (Level 9) City Campus is now booked for
the 4th February for the period of 14.00 until 17.00.  To get to
level 9 you have to walk in through the front door at SHU and find
the lift on level 5.  Take the lift to level 9.  The venue is just
across the road from Sheffield Midland station.  For info about the
venue have a look at...

      http://www.shu.ac.uk/services/marketing/visit/

 You should also keep an eye on our meetings page at...

         http://www.sheflug.co.uk/meeting.html

For information about buses telephone 01709 515151.  For train
information please call 0845 748 4950.  We hope that you can come
along to this event.  You should try to go to this if at all
possible.  Keep checking in on this page until the 2nd of February to
make sure that you have the latest info.

At the end of the proceedings on the evening of the 4th of February at
about 17.00 we will most likely wander across the road to the East
Ocean Seafood Restaurant at Matilda Street in Sheffield for dinner.
You can get some Japanese, Cantonese or Thai food here.  They do some
excellent Bento boxes.  After dinner we will probably go to somewhere
like the Hillsborough Hotel or Fat Cat or Cask and Cutler or a
similar non-smoking establishment.  For info about these places have
a look at the CAMRA guide or search with Google..

                 http://www.camra.org.uk/

Plenty of high quality British or Belgian beer on tap. If you plan to
come along for dinner on the evening of the 4th of February or you
want to be around for some drinks later on make sure that you let me
know.  The restaurant owner and the Landlord of a local pub will not
be pleased if a vast hoard of people descend on him or them without
warning.

--
Richard
www.sheflug.co.uk