[Wylug-announce] James Vasile - Replicating the Success of Free Software - 2nd April 2008

Richard Ibbotson richard.ibbotson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 11:27:19 GMT 2008

	  Meetings are free and open to anyone to attend.

      	Our next meeting will on Saturday the 2nd of April.

			Sheffield Hallam University
			Room 7140
			Stoddart Building
			City Campus,
			Howard Street,
			Sheffield
			S1 1WB

	http://www.shu.ac.uk/services/marketing/tour/stoddart.html
			http://www.shu.ac.uk/visit/

		Start at 7 p.m.  Finish 9 p.m.

The next meeting will be on the evening of the 2nd of April.  James
Vasile from the Software Freedom Law Center  will give a talk
entitled "Replicating the Success of Free Software".  The Free
Software movement has proven itself in every imaginable way. We have
quality software on servers, desktops and in embedded systems. Free
Software is used in homes, offices, retail and in manufacturing.
Everywhere from back rooms to classrooms and boardrooms.  We've
spawned new business models and changed the economics of old ones.
The challenges that are left will be met and soon.

Such has been the success of free software that we have spawned
entire other movements. From Creative Commons to open hardware to
open science, everybody wants to replicate Free Software's
achievements in new media.  Even further, there are people fighting
for values that, while beloved in the Free Software world, are not
protected by the Free Software society. Values like privacy and data
portability between web services.  Each of these attempts borrows
from Free Software's history.  This talk looks at what is being
taken, what is being left, and why.  It's an enquiry into the future,
as we ask how to nurture these nascent movements.

James Vasile holds a Juris Doctor (JD) from Columbia Law School,
where he was a member of the law review and a Stone Scholar. He also
has a bachelor's degree in political science and economics from
Fordham University. He spent several years in the litigation
department of Cravath, Swaine & Moore where he worked on a range of
cases and dealt with a variety of new media issues. James has also
contributed code and documentation to numerous FOSS software
projects. He is admitted to practice in the State of New York.

	http://www.softwarefreedom.org/about/team/
	http://www.nylug.org/meetings/index.shtml?20071100

--
Richard