[Wylug-announce] Next meeting - Monday 12th January 2009: NB NEW VENUE! - Talk: SSD is it for me?

Tom Hall thattommyhall at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 13:07:32 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I will be giving a talk entitled "SSD: is it for me?"
I will talk about why now is a turning point for SSD in terms of
performance/price, how the big players are working it into their
storage systems and why you should be considering having it somewhere
in your storage hierarchy.

Other details are below, including the new venue.

Next months talk will be on pfSense, a FreeBSD firewall solution with
some compelling features and a nice web interface.

We need more speakers urgently, please consider giving even a small
talk on something that interests you or you are working with lately
for March's talk. If you have talked on a topic before perhaps a
status update would be interesting as Free Software often evolves
quickly. If you have any suggestions for talks you would like to hear,
please send me a mail or ask the discuss list
(wylug-discuss at wylug.org.uk).
Last time I asked, sourcecode management (git, SVN, CVS diff, patch
etc) and system monitoring (Zenoss, Nagios, Cactai or
something_else_cool) were suggested, any volunteers please get in
touch.

I look forward to seeing lots of you in the new venue, I have not seen
it myself yet.

Happy New Year,
Tom