[Wylug-announce] Meeting on 11th October 2010: A Mythbuntu Multimedia Server

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Mon Sep 27 13:30:17 UTC 2010

All,

The next meeting will be on the 11th of October at Old Broadcasting
House in Leeds.

Peter Robinson will be giving a talk on building a MythTV media server.
In his presentation, he describes why he decided to build a Mythbuntu
based multi-media server and how he went about it.

The original idea was to have a single server for playing and recording
TV programmes, plus storing video DVDs and music CDs without the
necessity for numerous set-top-boxes, DVD and CD players plus wires
everywhere.

    Mythbuntu is a version of MythTV based on Ubuntu and although
    MythTV can be installed on any Linux distribution, mythbuntu is
    fully integrated with Ubuntu, in general following its release
    schedule. The presentation covers the design objectives I set
    for the system, why and how I selected the hardware and software
    components and the problems (and successes!) I had building it
    and making it all work.

    The final system has achieved most of the original design goals
    resulting in a system being housed in a 12U, 19 inch rack
    located in the cupboard under the stairs, well out of sight. The
    system will record and play back standard and HD TV programmes
    in 5.1 sound and DVDs in full 7.1 surround sound to two rooms in
    the house.

    The project shows what can be achieved using opensource
    software, rivalling the functionality of many commercial Home
    Theatre systems, all at a fraction of the cost - and it was fun!

The talk will begin at 7:00pm, with the doors opening from 6:30pm for
coffee and chat.

After the talk, we will move to Mr Foley's on the Headrow for beer
and geeky chatter. No formal booking has been made, but if the back room
is available, then it would make sense to congregate in there.

Links/directions:

Old Broadcasting House - http://bit.ly/a8RfUI
Mr Foley's - http://bit.ly/atf8PW

Cheers,