[Wylug-announce] ShefLUG - January 2017 Meeting

Richard Ibbotson richard.ibbotson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 20:52:50 UTC 2017

                Sheffield Linux Users Group (ShefLUG)

           Meetings are free and open to anyone to attend

             Saturday 7th January 2017 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.

 We'll be having our January meeting on the 7th.   We thought that
our January meeting might go down well at the Holt Cafe. The
address is...  156 Arundel Street Sheffield, S1 4RE

                         http://www.theholtcafe.co.uk
          http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/timetables/

If you don't have a car then you might like to know that  there are
plenty of buses running to and from the city centre to the cafe.  Call
01709 515151 for bus information.  Use Google maps if you don't
know where the Holt Cafe is. Tea and coffee is available.  There is
a good selection of food. Look out for someone sitting next to a
laptop in front of him at the back of the cafe.

  http://www.sheflug.org.uk/indexpage/sheflug-meetings-page-2/
                   http://twitter.com/ShefLUG

We hope to show some ideas about internet privacy in the light of
changes in the law.  This will be a short talk about some simple ideas
that help to make your web experience safer.  There might also be a
short video about routers and firewalls.  All of this is already
online. You can read about this on many web sites and on YouTube.
Other than that ....  The topic of the meeting will be a general
discussion or we can fix some hardware or software.    If you need some
help with that we can most likely point you in the right direction.
If you want to know more about anything else come along and ask
questions.  We seem to have a keen and interested band of EeePC and
other netbook people who bring them along to meetings.  Android
telephones seem to have become a feature of our meetings.  Various
tablets have also appeared.  All of them Android or GNU/Linux based.
The Raspberry Pi has established a firm grip on most things around us

                       http://youtu.be/o774LMtfeJY -

Thanks to the operating system that it runs on.  We can discuss any
version of GNU/Linux that you might be interested in.  A quick look
around Distrowatch should give you some idea of what's happening
just now...

                      http://distrowatch.com/

Always worth talking about.  Any version of BSD is also
welcome.    Hope we see you at our meeting.

--
Richard

https://twitter.com/SleepyPenguin1