[Wylug-announce] ShefLUG - April 2017 Meeting

Richard Ibbotson richard.ibbotson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 10:53:46 UTC 2017

                 Sheffield Linux Users Group (ShefLUG)

           Meetings are free and open to anyone to attend

             Saturday 1st April 2017 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.

 We'll be having our April meeting on the 1st of April.   We
 thought that our April meeting might go down well at the
 Holt Cafe. The address is...  156 Arundel Street Sheffield, S1 4RE

                         http://www.theholtcafe.co.uk
          http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/timetables/

Since it's the 1st of April a Microsoft representative will take over the
proceedings and show us how Microsoft are helping the international
GNU/Linux community.  They will show us a GPL'd version of MS
Windows 10 which has not been released yet.  Other features are the
proposed EXT4 filesystem and the nice looking KDE desktop which
will be available under the Microsoft open source licence.  Strangely
it looks a lot like the present MS Windows 10 desktop. We will all need to
sign a non-disclosure agreement at the meeting to view this.
Further to this anyone attending the meeting will be able to buy the
new version of open source Windows 10 at the discount price of
only £900 for a CD which can be used once again.  After the end user
has paid a further £900 licence fee.   If you don't want to wait you
can download from....

                          http://www.reactos.org

If you don't have a car then you might like to know that  there are
plenty of buses running to and from the city centre to the cafe.  Call
01709 515151 for bus information.  Use Google maps if you don't
know where the Holt Cafe is. Tea and coffee is available.  There is
a good selection of food. Look out for someone sitting next to a
laptop in front of him at the back of the cafe.

  http://www.sheflug.org.uk/indexpage/sheflug-meetings-page-2/
                   http://twitter.com/ShefLUG

 The topic of the meeting will be a general discussion or we can fix
some hardware or software.    If you need some help with that we can
most likely point you in the right direction.

We hope to discuss our proposed install fest which we think is taking
place in April. If you want to know more about anything else come
along and ask questions.  We seem to have a keen and interested
band of EeePC and other netbook people who bring them along to
meetings.  Android telephones seem to have become a feature of
our meetings.  Various tablets have also appeared.  All of them
Android or GNU/Linux based.  The Raspberry Pi has established a
firm grip on most things around us

                       http://youtu.be/o774LMtfeJY -

Thanks to the operating system that it runs on.  We can discuss any
version of GNU/Linux that you might be interested in.  A quick look
around Distrowatch should give you some idea of what's happening
just now...

                      http://distrowatch.com/

Always worth talking about.  Any version of BSD is also
welcome.    Hope we see you at our meeting.

--
Richard

https://twitter.com/SleepyPenguin1