[Wylug-discuss] compact flash cards used as IDE disk....

gARetH baBB hick at gink.org
Sun Jul 20 22:27:04 BST 2003

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003, Jim Jackson wrote:

> A couple of extra questions then, what sort of read speed do you get from
> a CFcards - I assume pretty good, and if they do just like an IDE drive I
> assume you can partition them etc?

Is there a reason to partition them ?

Linux will cache stuff in RAM anyway, so the read speed of flash is fairly
irrelevant for commonly accessed files, unless you really have little
spare RAM - and as I say the boxes you use these things in are rarely
doing anything but from within the kernel, so userspace programs/processes
are at a minimum.

What applicatons do you have in mind ?