[Wylug-discuss] Linux + Mathematics

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.InTechnology.co.uk
Mon Jul 21 16:45:09 BST 2003

On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 16:31, Jonathan Algar wrote:
> Studying mathematics at A level, mathematical computation is very critical
> to my studies. I have a license for mathematica
> (http://www.mathematica.com) for WINDOWS. I am trying to move
> towards a pure linux environment, so i can scrap my current duel boot.

Mathematica is available on Linux.  I have no idea what the licensing
implications of a conversion are.

Maple also used to be available on Linux.  [I don't have anything to do
with this stuff at all any more so just don't know the current state]

Octave http://www.octave.org/ is an alternative - although its trying to
replace MatLab (I get all these mixed up).  It used to be the case that
it handled certain specialities very well but was missing some of the
more general stuff - again I am very out of date on this (around 8
years).

There are a couple more maths environments around - I just tried
searching for Mathematic on freshmeat and hit a pile of stuff - try that
and see if you get anything useful out.

	Nigel.