[Wylug-discuss] Another little project

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Tue Jun 24 16:09:57 BST 2003

Julian Church <jc at ljchurch.co.uk> wrote:
> Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> wrote:
[...]
>> No chance without a MMU. You need an acclerator board with a *full*
>> 68030, '040, or '060. (i.e. the 68EC030 that shows up on some boards is
>> not sufficient).

Firstly, please don't Cc: me directly with replies. I do read the list after
all, and a direct response (which gets read first) is confusing as it looks
as if you've taken the topic off-list.

> My first experience running Linux was Debian on a 68030 Mac (a IISi) and
> it absolutely c-r-a-w-l-e-d.

I hear the Mac's bus interface is pretty rough, which would be some of the
problem. I've got Debian running on an A1200 with an '030 accelerator, and
an A4000/040 and neither are too bad. The A4000 is possibly worse, due to
the lousy design of the A3640 CPU board.

> BTW, If you really want to re-use a low-end system as a firewall, you
> might want to have a look at the LEAF project http://leaf.sourceforge.net.
> It's i386 only, but the lowest practical spec is really low; roughly a
> 66MHz 486 with 16MB.

That's not exactly low-end. My firewall proxy box is slower than that...

--
Chat Up, Put Down #10
HE:  Shall we go see a movie?