[Wylug-discuss] List skimming

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.InTechnology.co.uk
Mon Nov 3 13:22:00 GMT 2003

The wylug lists, along with a very large number of UK LUG lists, have
had subscriptions made to them by "linux-research at mccmedia.com", which
appears to be a robot that collects and processes postings.

http://mccmedia.com/research.html#robot appears to have something on
this, although its not just java now.

Questions have been raised on the lugmasters list about this, and
whether it is ethical or even legal given the state of the UK/EU Data
Protection Act and the lack of similar US protection.

Therefore I have unsubscribed the robot from all lists on the machines I
administer, and blocked them from resubscription.  Additionally the
signup pages - such as
  http://list.wylug.org.uk/mailman/listinfo/wylug-help

have had a couple of new paragraphs added to the subscription
information.  As has the confirmation requests.

Finally, and unrelated, the htdig indexes of the archives have been
stopped because the indexing process was taking too long to complete and
flattening the machine into the ground.  I will see if I can find a
better indexing method.

	Nigel.