[Wylug-discuss] Linux on the desktop (was [Wylug-help] Fw: Re: Installing a speedtouch modem)

Dave Fisher davef at gbdirect.co.uk
Fri Nov 14 16:45:10 GMT 2003

Hi Nick,

Sorry to disappoint.

I can't entirely disagree with you, but that's probably because I've
always had an aversion to the religious world view.

If you want or need all of the GUI functionality provided by the
Windows packages that you quote, then your two system strategy seems the
logical one to follow.

Since I loathe office 'unproductivity' suites with a vengence, rather
like the Gimp and am content to draw diagrams in Xfig, the hassle of
swapping twixt Linux and Windows is not a burden that I am prepared to
put up with.

The factor which tips the balance for me is the range of key bindings
and customisations available in most Linux window managers.  By
comparison, the Windows desktop is a clunky pile of donkey do.

But why, oh why, can't open source developers get over their childish
drive to re-invent every kind of wheel 'not invented here'?

Dave