[Wylug-discuss] Linux on the desktop (was [Wylug-help] Fw: Re: Installing a speedtouch modem)

Nik Jewell L.N.Jewell at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Nov 19 11:37:46 GMT 2003

Hi Jim, all

I knew somebody would challenge me on OO :-)

Its 'ghastliness' for me is mainly on aesthetic grounds; I just find it
ugly and clunky.

More importantly, however, is interoperability with others and with
other apps.  On the former, I do a great deal of collaborative editing
of documents and OO doesn't have the kind of 'track changes' type
functionality that can interoperate with Word users (I'm not sure that
it has any such functionality at all ?) .

I have also found in the past (though there may be improvements now)
that OO could not be trusted to open a Word doc with complex formatting
and preserve that formatting after editing it and returning it to its
creator for further editing in Word..

With regard to interop with other apps, I've been a huge fan of Visio
since long before M$ bought it (an M$ buyout that made me fairly unhappy
at the time); it may only be a minor inconvenience but I do appreciate
the OLE functionality of being able to edit my diagrams in place.

Maybe I should use OO at home, and I used to, but I cannot any longer be
bothered to use two different apps when one will do.  As I said in my OP
it's all a matter of getting my job done.

Cheers

Nik