[Wylug-discuss] Speakers for meetings in 2004!

Paul Grenyer paul at paulgrenyer.co.uk
Thu Nov 27 08:28:29 GMT 2003

Hi

> > I could give a talk on Software Engineering, specifically in C++ if
anyone
> > is interested???
>
> I would be /very/ interested in this (and I would travel from
> Blackburn to attend).

Great! I was thinking some more about this last night. I could do a
couple of talks, one on getting going with g++ on Linux and then move
on to cover how a lot of programmers (especially those with a C
background) mis-use C++.

You don't need formal training, but I would urge you to join the ACCU
(www.accu.org). The website doesn't do it justice but the mailing lists
and the journals make it the best £25 a year you'll ever spend (as a
programmer).

The ACCU also have a conference, that I'm speaking at next year.

> I'm currently doing a lot of C++ work, but lacking any "formal"
> software engineering experience, I'm sure this would be most useful.
> (I'm currently just about to get into Design Patterns, which I've been
> unconsciously using for a while, but it's time for me to start
applying
> them properly.)

On your way to Design Patterns, did you cover or side-step templates?

> As a followup to this talk, I could volunteer the following: I'm
> currently working on an application written in Gtkmm at work (GTK+ C++
> binding), using libglade and a PostgreSQL backend database (using
> libpqxx and my own home-grown object serialisation system).  I could
> use my experiences on this project to do a talk on
> GTK+/Gtkmm/Glade/libglade and GUI design using the MVC pattern.  This
> would be fairly introductory, covering GTK+ basics (widgets,
> containers, signals and slots), Glade/libglade for GUI design and
> separation of interface from implementation, the C++ bindings, and
> overall GUI design.

Sounds like a good idea.

Regards
Paul

Please note the change of email address!

Paul Grenyer
Email: paul at paulgrenyer.co.uk
Web: www.paulgrenyer.co.uk