[Wylug-discuss] Microsoft moves to integrate Windows with BIOS

James Holden (Wylug) wylug at jamesholden.net
Sat Oct 4 09:26:32 BST 2003

Nik Jewell wrote:

>http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/developer/0,39020387,39116902,00.htm

Heh, so now you can get a BSOD before you've even booted up! (Sorry,
couldn't resist)

"The BIOS would also allow better control of unauthorised devices
connected to a system, Microsoft said" (what? somebody please explain)

"it will rapidly advance serviceability, deployment, and management"
(since when has system management involved any more than ssh? ;-)

"Microsoft is planning to tie Windows DRM features to the hardware platform"

This last one I don't like. Maybe in the near future your only way to
keep control of your computer will be to modchip it. Hopefully at last
the rest of the world will see what a terrible thing DRM is. Joe Public
isn't going to be pleased when he gets told "I'm sorry, but you can't do
that".

It'll all be like the whole DVD player region coding fiasco. When you
try and enforce false restraints on what people can do, it inevitably
fails. Try finding a NON multi-region DVD player these days.

James