[Wylug-discuss] wlan in wyorks

Simon Wood lists at mungewell.org
Sat Oct 11 21:53:10 BST 2003

Hi Chek,
There is already some effort towards community wireless in West Yorkshire, see:
http://www.503.gink.org/consume/

WNAP started out as a 'free to join' club, but has switched to supporting a subscription service 'My Zones'. The technology (software only ;-) is freely available to anyone who wants to provide such a service, all running on Linux of course.

My range is a little limited at present as I'm using a PCI card with it's little rubber antenna, I hope to switch to a roof mounted one, once I have managed to build one that works. Oh and I'm not in Leeds....

Personally I am a little concerned about anyone having full (unlimited) access to my ADSL link, but have an open AP running PopTop VPN server. Anyone can connect to AP and talk directly to others on the same AP, but you need to login into the VPN before you get access to the internet (or my LAN).

Pop-Top was chosen as it can support both Windows (without having to install other software) and Linux (with a kernel patch), an alternative would be Free-Swan. Athentication can be done locally, or via a remote Radius server.

I'm sure (and have suggested in the past) that Linux wireless would make for an interesting meeting topic. If you need further information contact me off list,
Simon.