[Wylug-discuss] Anyone in meanwood?

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Thu Oct 30 17:56:47 GMT 2003

James Holden (Wylug) <wylug at jamesholden.net> wrote:
> [...] What was the problem with your flat, out of interest? ADSL is no
> different to having a normal BT line, and Cable is no different to having
> cable TV, you just connect the ethernet cable to the STB.

This is something I was wondering. My tenancy agreement forbids me from
installing new phone lines, but of course ADSL works just fine over the
existing BT line.

In any case, if I were to install a second phone line, what could the
landlord do? Evicting me or withholding my deposit is unlawful, and liable
to land them in much hot water. The most they could do is not choose to
renew the tenancy, and who would want to stay in a property where the
landlord is that petty?

In practise, provided the installation work is tidy and doesn't damage the
property, a landlord won't care. Adding broadband to a property where it was
not previously possible to have it does after all improve the value of the
property.

--
When one BOFH walks into your cube and wants a word, you're in trouble. When
two BOFHs walk into your cube and want a word, you're in lots of trouble. When