[Wylug-discuss] Small single board computers......

Kris kjclarke at clara.co.uk
Tue Sep 23 20:30:31 BST 2003

Jim Jackson wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Graham Whaley wrote:
> > Or for a place in Leeds I believe (on Meanwood road)
> > http://195.224.29.130/cgi-bin/Light.storefront/en/Catalog/1040
>
> Anybody know what the mobo is in these? I see it has a Type 1 CF socket
> built in.
>
> The package is not particularly cheap. The ME6000 based desktop
> I've recently built cost about 230UKP inc disk and RAM.

Do you mean the four blue & silver ones at the top? See the motherboard
list on the left here: http://www.lex.com.tw/index1.htm

The north(south? I can never remember - the one with the video
controller)bridge gets very very toasty with these, making the laptop
hard drive very hot as a result, since it's directly over the normal
green mass-produced northbridge heatsink. I improvised by ordering a
small block of copper from a metal place in Leeds called Smiths Metal
Center (I think it was called that) for about £13 delivered. The
smallest piece he's ever done, apparently. This was connected to the
"big" aluminium heatsink on the CPU. The old green heatsink & the copper
gets hotter than the CPU heatsink by far. I also butchered a Zalman
northbridge heatsink and stuck them on wherever I could - some sideways,
one partially covering the DoC socket but can be snipped to accomodate
one.

It still gets a little too warm for my liking :( I suppose 2.5" HDs are
designed to take the heat, though.