[Wylug-discuss] Switching Users

Jim Jackson jj at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Sun Apr 4 21:57:26 BST 2004

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004, Phil Driscoll wrote:

> On Friday 02 April 2004 23:29, Daniel Eliades wrote:
> > I am currently talking my family into switching from Windows XP to SUSE
> > 9.0. I have a few questions which I need answered before I do the switch.
> > Is it possible with linux to switch users?  What I mean, is that I want one
> > person logged on to the internet using AOL Instant Messenger and when they
> > switch users or log out I want them to still be logged in but for another
> > user to be logged in as well.  Please let me know if this is possible or if
> > you need more information.  Thanks a lot in advance-
>
> No problem. On the K Menu (Start Menu) in KDE in SuSE 9 there is an option
> 'Start New Session' which fires up another X session so another user can log
> in. You can then switch between sessions using the <ctrl><alt>f7 and f8 keys.

A second session can be started from one of the text VTs

Login as you and

 % startx -- :1

The default first session is :0, :1 is the second session, :2 third
session etc. As Phil, says you switch between sessions using (usually)
<ctrl><alt>F7 and F8 and F9 (if you have 3 sessions).

This works fine with my debian setup, but debian is reasonably good and
have a consistant setup for this sort of stuff. I've had problems with
Redhat, which I didn't bottom.

In fact it is something I only learned in the last few months.

cheers
Jim