[Wylug-discuss] Re: mutt query

Dr A V Le Blanc LeBlanc at mcc.ac.uk
Mon Feb 16 09:07:05 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-Feb-13 at 20:41:12, Barrie Stott <G.B.Stott at bolton.ac.uk> wrote:
> I have a problem with characters which have the top bit set when
> viewing them in mutt with the default pager. For example, the pound
> sterling symbol appears as \243. However, if I use `less' as mutt's
> external pager, the character is shown correctly.
>
> Is the mutt default pager deficient or is there some setting which
> is needed in ~/.muttrc? I'd be grateful for help; mutt's own
> documentation offered nothing that seemed useful.
>
> I have a debian system and am using mutt-1.3.28-2 which came with the
> woody distribution.

You might check to see whether and how LC_CTYPE is set; I have
en_GB defined in /etc/locale.gen, and I set LC_CTYPE to en_GB.
This only works, of course, if the locale for en_GB has been
generated.  You might have to do 'dpkg-reconfigure locales', as
a bug prevented this from working correctly at install time.

     -- Owen
     LeBlanc at mcc.ac.uk