[Wylug-discuss] IMAP Server Recommendation

Shaun Laughey shaun.laughey at pyr2.com
Mon Feb 16 13:28:16 GMT 2004

Rik Wade wrote:

>Can anyone recommend an IMAP server for use on Linux? I know there are
>several good ones available but would be interested to hear people's
>experiences.
>
>I am running Postfix with spamd and procmail for local delivery.
>
>Requirements:
>	- shouldn't be too fiddly to configure
>	- should support encrypted IMAP sessions
>	- shouldn't need constant security patching due to inclusion
>	of all features bar the kitchen sink
>
>Links to nice howto files etc appreciated.
>--
>rik

I use courier IMAP for my own use and I have used cyrus. I wouldn't call
cyrus easy or fun to administer sometimes and it didn't play nicely on
Debian. Worked like a dream on Red Hat 7.2 and Mandrake 9.0 though.
Courier appears stable and I haven't had to do much with it since
October 2003. The only downside is I don't encrypt. I don't see much point
the email isn't encrypted before it gets to my email server. So I could
not say how it scales (only 10 users) or how well courier performs with
encryption (if at all).
As for guides - how about the "ISP mail server solution"
http://www.marlow.dk/postfix/ it's got most of the things you want
covered. Only thing that can be a pain is that I used a backported
amavis and the ports had increased by 1 number. Took three hours to get
around to reading the README for it where it clearly stated the ports.
So I guess follow that and READ the readme files for each component to
ensure they are still the same.

Shaun Laughey.