[Wylug-discuss] Re: Wylug-discuss digest, Vol 1 #888 - 1 msg

Duncan Entwisle family.entwisle at btinternet.com
Thu Feb 26 13:06:53 GMT 2004

Re: Linux 'eyetoy' style projects.

Thanks Vaibhav & Jim.

So, if I understand you correctly, you're saying that because webcams
are generally designed for use over the net, and therefore the hardware
designers and software programmers expect there to be lag anyway, that
they haven't focused on optimizing the hardware/software for instantly
displaying the results on the local screen.

I wonder whether it might be worth experimenting with anyway, to see
whether the lag can be reduced - something else to add to my project
list :-) ...I could always go with a Firewire based webcam, or an
actual EyeToy (preliminary drivers are available under Linux) if it
turns out to be a hardware limitation.

Cheers,
Duncan.