[Wylug-discuss] CUPS

James Holden (WYLUG) wylug at jamesholden.net
Sat Feb 28 12:50:54 GMT 2004

Roger Leigh wrote:
> "James Holden (WYLUG)" <wylug at jamesholden.net> writes:
>

>>So I'm not the only one who thinks CUPS is a shoddy pile of rubbish:
>>
>>http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html
>

> Before heavily criticising CUPS, please read all the comments here:
>
> http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2004-02-26-024-26-OP-DT-DV&tbovrmode=3#talkback_area
>
> What ESR is criticising isn't CUPS itself, but the RedHat/Fedora admin
> tool.

Yes, but the point I was making was about printing in general on *nix.
If CUPS is all we have then I'm almost to the point of giving up.

Aside from the RH/Fedora GUI tool, the CUPS browser interface is
seriously lacking. You have to resort to command line stuff to get
printers added (via foomatic-configure) and the defaults for browsing
and discovery and access are senseless. There's no method of setting the
default printer via the browser interface, and the status messages are
inaccurate and misleading.

James