[Wylug-discuss] Cheap Linux CDs - WYLUG Discount

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Fri Jan 9 12:27:45 GMT 2004

On Thursday 08 Jan 2004 7:32 pm, James Holden wrote:
> Philip Wyett wrote:
[snip]
> Well, there's some disagreement over the redhat trademark and such like.
> Strictly speaking I'm not allowed to call it redhat. They did, however
> distribute it under the GPL so it's still OK to distribute. I can't
> remember the specifics, but google will shed more light on it.

[snip]

The problem is to do with the use of the trademark.

Buying 'Redhat' Linux implies the product which is the release of Linux as
supplied plus the backup and services of the Redhat company.

However, when people reproduce and distribute copies of the CD's, or
derivatives of them, then that is all that is being sold, and not the
complete 'Redhat' package.

The argument was something to do with using the trademark on a reduced product
was adversely affecting the reputation of the organisation.
--
Gary Stainburn