[Wylug-discuss] Cheap Linux CDs - WYLUG Discount

Philip Wyett philip at wyett.net
Fri Jan 9 20:30:49 GMT 2004

--
On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 19:32, James Holden wrote:

> Philip Wyett wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> |>Knoppix (1 CD) - £2.25
> |

> | Which version?
> |

> v3.3 19th November 2003
>

> |>Mandrake 9.2 GPL (3 CD) - £6.30
> |>The distribution formerly known as RedHat 9.0 (3 CD) - £6.30
> |

> | Is this like the artist formerly known as Prince, Errr... The symbol. :)
> | There is no such distro. There is a distro called Red Hat 9 - No
> | .anything or formerly anything.
>
> Well, there's some disagreement over the redhat trademark and such like.
> Strictly speaking I'm not allowed to call it redhat. They did, however
> distribute it under the GPL so it's still OK to distribute. I can't
> remember the specifics, but google will shed more light on it.

Yes, trademark on the Red Hat name and the copyright on the certain
artwork i.e. BlueCurve etc. if my memory serves. So... using the Red Hat
name formerly or otherwise, you are skirting and possibly in breach.

> |>Gentoo 1.4 various platforms (2 CD) - £4.05
> |>Fedora Core 1 (3 CD) - £6.30
> |

> | Buy Issue 35 - Linux User and Developer Magazine and get The 3 binary
> | CD's of the Fedora Core 1 for £5.99 and a good mag thrown in.
> |
> | Sorry for being pedantic, but couldn't resist.
> |

> Correct... but keep an eye in LXF for my advert in the march issue. ;-)

Will do. :)

> (Or you could download it for nowt, but that's the idea of the business
> really, to save the effort). BTW, anyone seen Fedora yet? I haven't had
> chance to look.

I have run Fedora since the first severn beta and now have Fedora in
production. The cutting edge nature of the new distro and reliability of
Red Hat, allows for production use and has also allowed me to contribute
patches upstream to projects such as xmms and gaim etc.

Regards

Phil

Email: philip at wyett.net
Website: http://www.wyett.net