[Wylug-discuss] Rebooting Unix/Linux boxen...

Rik Wade rik at rikwade.com
Fri Jul 30 09:59:14 BST 2004

Jim Jackson wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Mike Williams wrote:

>>I concur, for another very good reason too.
>>Do you *know* your box and services will start correctly if it accidentally
>>gets rebooted at 2am?

> Interestingly we used to reboot out windows servers pretty regularly here
> to stave off problems, but over the last 1/2years we've given up and they
> do well (windows2000 and 2003) with fairly long uptimes. The reboots
> needed as part of regular security updates and maintenance seem to be
> enough :-)

Another good reboot policy is to bounce a system (be it a router or
server) on a known, good, configuration and operating system
installation prior to performing significant changes or upgrades. This
proves that your hardware is good and that the config/OS is as good as
you thought it was.

If you change an in-service system without doing this, and subsequently
encounter problems, you can't be sure whether the problem was there
before you made the changes or not.
--
rik