[Wylug-discuss] Linux GUI design

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Mar 1 10:21:23 GMT 2004

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, Roger Leigh wrote:

> What ESR missed was simply altering ServerName in
> /etc/cups/client.conf, which would have given him instant access to
> all the queues on the other machine without any messing with a local
> cupsd.  Alternatively, he could have enabled browsing on the server,
> so clients could receive broadcast queue information, which tools like
> kprinter (and the local cupsd) can listen to.

Under Fedora this wouldn't have worked straight away.  It appears Fedora have
picked a default of only listening on 127.0.0.1:631, which I hadn't realised
in my previous post.  That's if your print server was running Fedora.  To be
honest, I'm quite happy with that as the default, but I seem to have missed
the big red button to turn it back on for non-techy home users.

jh

--
"Come friendly bombs, and fall on Slough!
 It isn't fit for humans now,