[Wylug-discuss] What Do you Call your Machine??

Jim Jackson jj at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Tue Mar 16 12:59:15 GMT 2004

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, Steve King wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, John Leach wrote:
> > I've called my machines various different things over the years usually
> > in an attempt to feel clever and original.
>
> The most clever naming scheme I've ever read about was to do with the
> periodic table...
>
> 192.168.0.1 = hydrogen.domain
> 192.168.0.2 = helium.domain
> 192.168.0.3 = lithium.domain
> etc.

Yep I do that. Gives me a name, an obvious abreviation (the symbolic
element symbol) and a host number (the elements atomic number).

My gateway is called mercury - surprize, surprize.

I use the transuranics (the synthesised elements) for the temp. DHCP
leases, though all main machines are allocated a fixed name/IP, mainly
from the noble gases - my desktops are neon, xenon, krypton
don't ask why.

Jim