[Wylug-discuss] [off-topic] Laptop that becomes a USB Drive

peter nix p.j.nix at leeds.ac.uk
Fri Mar 19 19:34:54 GMT 2004

The firewire equivalent functionality is standard on macs today, and
replaces an equivalent functionality available on them in the past via
the scsi bus:

"Make sure that your computer is shut down and the computer you are
connecting to is on. Connect your computer to another FireWire-equipped
computer. Start up your computer and immediately hold down the T key.
Your computer display shows the FireWire logo. Then your computer
internal hard disk icon  and the icon of a CD or DVD disc  appear on the
desktop of the other computer."

The point of this is to allow you to mount the discs of an un-bootable
machine on a bootable one - particularly useful when you have a portable
without any removable disc drives.

Inverting the arrangement, it's hard to see why  pocketable drives so
seldom come with a cpu/os for when there isn't a larger host about for
them to attach themselves to, or insert themselves in:

The linux iPod:
http://www.cs.duke.edu/~geha/ipod/

The Intel personal server
http://linuxdevices.com/articles/AT5772921353.html