[Wylug-discuss] Uptimes

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Wed Mar 24 11:13:15 GMT 2004

Rob Sharp wrote:
| Hello all
|
| I'm new about these parts and have lurked on the list for ooh, a good
| week now. My uptime isn't great ( 10:32:17 up 40 days, 19:32,  1 user,
| load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00 ), but I'm intrigued by James' email
| address.

Not bad.... by the way, does anyone have any experience of
OpenBSD+Sparcstation+UPS type setups? I'm prepared to make my own cable
up. What software have people used in the past for UPS. I just want
basic shutdown facilities.

| james-dated-1080722331.148656 at jamesholden.net
|
| Is that some kind of clever anti spam measure or something? How does it
| work? And how do I get one? It looks a bit like a scheme suggested by
| someone here:
|
| http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/3/16/13579/3506

It's TMDA, which is mentioned in the article above. It's a mail filter
which holds messages from non-whitelisted people in a queue until they
reply to a confirmation email. In practice, you can reduce the number of
times this happens by processing your outgoing mail too, so that new
people are whitelisted automatically, or by generating addresses that
have restrictions, like expiry times or sender restrictions. When I send
mail to wylug-*@wylug.org.uk, it's set up to change the 'From:' header
to wylug at jamesholden.net, which is the address the list knows about, and
add a 'Reply-To:' header with a time-limited address, so that people can
reply to me without jumping through hoops.

I'm doing a talk on this at the May meeting. I'm also writing a sort of
HOWTO (more of a HOWIDIDIT). You can get more info from www.tmda.net.

James

| Cheers,
| Rob.
[snip]

- --
James Andrew Holden, Leeds, UK    (james at jamesholden dot net)
GPG Key: 1024D/8358863A    *Please encrypt mail where possible!*
Fingerprint:  32C9 A76F 3CFE A06C 1B00  5AAB 9877 4742 8358 863A
jamesholden.net ICQ: 11290827 >Buy Linux CDs from fastdiscs.com<